the protection and confidential handling of your personal data is of central concern to us. We would therefore like to take this opportunity to inform you about how, to what extent, and for what purpose ZEW collects, processes and uses this data.
ZEW processes your personal data, which is collected when you visit our website, in compliance with legal regulations, in particular the guidelines set out in the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
1. Data Collection
ZEW’s online services are generally accessible without any requirements pertaining to personal information. Certain services (subscription to the ZEW Newsletter, press distribution lists, enrolment for seminars or events etc.) do require users to provide us with personal information. It is left to your discretion whether you decide to make use of these services.
Minors under the age of 18 should not share any of their personal data with us without prior permission from a parent or guardian.
The responsible party is the ZEW – Leibniz-Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung GmbH Mannheim, L 7, 1 68161 Mannheim
Phone +49/ (0)621-1235-01, Telefax +49/ (0)621-1235-255, E-mail: email@example.com
Executive Directors: Professor Achim Wambach, PhD, and Thomas Kohl
You can reach our data protection officer, Dr. Thomas Wirth at the above address or via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
1.2 Access protocols
When you access the ZEW website www.zew.de, information is sent automatically to our website server via the browser used on your device. This information is stored temporarily in what is known as a logfile. The following information is recorded without any action on your part and stored until it is deleted automatically:
- User IP address
- Access date and time
- Name and URL of the page accessed
- The website through which the page was accessed (referrer URL)
- The type of browser used and, if necessary, the operating system used on your computer as well as the name of your access provider.
This data is processed by us for the following purposes:
- Providing a smooth connection to our website,
- Ensuring that our website is user-friendly,
- Assessing the security and stability of our systems and
- Other administrative purposes.
We process your data in accordance with Art. 6 para. 1 p. 1 lit. f of the GDPR. Our interest in your data is legitimate based on the purposes of data processing listed above. The data is processed anonymously; individual user profiles are not being compiled.
1.3 ZEW Newsletter and ZEW press distribution list
According to Art. 6 para. 1 p. 1 lit. a of the GDPR, as long as you have expressly given your consent, we will use your e-mail address to send you our newsletter or press releases on a regular basis. In order to subscribe to the ZEW Newsletter or our press releases, you must provide us with an e-mail address. Except for providing us with your e-mail address, it is also possible to subscribe to the newsletter or press releases under a pseudonym. Apart from your e-mail address, none of your personal information is stored by us, unless you provide us with this information voluntarily in order to access special newsletter or press-related services, or to improve our services. Access to the server is restricted to a small group of authorised personnel. Data is not passed on to a third party!
You can cancel your subscription at any time, for example, via the link provided at the bottom of every newsletter and press release. Alternatively, you can unsubscribe at any time by sending an e-mail to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
1.4 Registration for ZEW professional training courses
Any electronic data you provide for registration will be deleted immediately after you complete your course, unless you expressly agree to receive information about future ZEW events. When you register for further training courses at ZEW, your data is processed with your consent according to Art. 6 para. 1 p. 1 lit. b of the GDPR. The personal data collected by us in order to process your registration form will be deleted as soon as it is no longer required to fulfil the purpose for which it was originally collected.
1.5 Other contact and information services
We invite users to contact us with any question they might have via the contact forms or e-mail addresses provided on the website. In order to take advantage of this service, you must provide a valid e-mail address so that we know who the question is coming from and so that we can send you a response. This means that any personal data contained in the e-mail is stored by us. Any other information you provide is voluntary. In this case, none of your data will be passed on to third parties. Your data is used exclusively for the purpose of responding to your inquiry.
Data for the purpose of establishing contact is processed by us according to Art. 6 para. 1 p.1 lit. a of the GDPR, based on your freely given consent, i.e. in the form of sending an e-mail, in accordance with Art. 6 para. 1 lit. f of the GDPR. If the goal of the e-mail communication is the execution of a contract, the processing of the data is also supported by Art. 6 para. 1 lit. b of the GDPR.
The personal data collected will be deleted as soon as it is no longer required to fulfil the purpose for which it was originally collected. In the case of personal data collected via an online contact form or sent via e-mail, this happens as soon as the conversation with the user comes to an end. The conversation can be seen to have come to an end when it is clear from the given circumstances that the issue being discussed has been definitively resolved.
1.6 Application forms
If you would like to apply for a position at ZEW, you can send us your application via the forms provided on our website. The data you send to us is encrypted in transit. Only staff in our personnel department and those in charge of the hiring process have access to your application.
For the purposes of processing your application, your data is processed with your consent according to Art. 6 para. 1 p. 1 lit. a of the GDPR.
Personal data collected by us as part of the application process will be deleted three months after the end of application process, unless you agree to have your data stored for longer in order to remain in our application pool.
2. Third Party Involvement
We will not pass your personal data on to third parties for any other purpose than those listed below.
We only share your data with third parties if:
- you have given express permission for us to do so, according to Art. 6 para. 1 p. 1 lit. a of the GDPR,
- there is a legal requirement to do so, according to Art. 6 para. 1 p. 1 lit. c of the GDPR or
- this is legally permissible and required for the execution of contractual relationships, according to Art. 6 para. 1 p. 1 lit. b of the GDPR.
The ZEW website contains links to third party web pages. Clicking on such web links means you leave the ZEW website. These pages or their data protection policies (which may deviate from the ZEW standards) cannot be influenced by ZEW. We are not responsible for third party web page information or content. Any personal data you pass on to third parties is not regulated by the ZEW data protection policy. We therefore recommend that you read the data protection policy provided by each company carefully before passing on your personal data.
In order to expand the range of functions we can offer our online users and to make our site easier to use, we use what are known as “cookies” on our website. This means that when you access our website, small files will be saved to your computer. These cookies are then automatically deleted after a predefined period of time.
The data processed via cookies is required for the purposes listed above for the safeguarding of our legitimate interests and those of third parties according to Art. 6 para. 1 p. 1 lit. f of the GDPR.
If you wish to forgo the benefits of cookies, please consult the “Help” section of your browser, which will tell you how to change your browser settings to no longer accept new cookies or to delete existing ones. This should also provide you with information on how to block all new cookies from your browser or how to adjust your settings so that you receive a notification when new cookies are created.
4. Use of Analytics Tools
We use the tracking tools described in the following in accordance with Art. 6 para. 1 p.1 lit. f of the GDPR. We employ such tools in order to make continual improvements to our website and to ensure it remains user-friendly. We also use these tracking tools in order to statistically monitor and evaluate user traffic on our website with the aim of optimising the content we provide for you. These are considered legitimate interests under the legal regulation cited above. Online sessions and campaigns come to an end after a fixed period of time has passed.
The purposes of data processing and the type of data collected are listed under the respective tracking tool.
4.1 Google Analytics
You can refuse the use of Google Analytics by clicking on the link below. An opt-out cookie will be set up on your computer, which will prevent your data being collected when you visit this website in the future. Disable Google Analytics
IP anonymization has been activated for this website. This means that Google will truncate IP addresses originating from Member States of the European Union as well as from other countries in the Agreement on the European Economic Area. Only in exceptional cases will the full IP address be sent to and shortened by Google servers in the USA. Google will use this information on behalf of the website provider for the purpose of evaluating your use of the website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and internet usage to the website provider.
Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. These purposes represent a legitimate interest on our part in processing your data. Our use of Google Analytics is in accordance with § 15 para. 3 TMG and Art. 6 para. 1 lit. f of the GDPR. The data sent by us and linked to cookies, user or promotional IDs are automatically deleted after 14 months. Stored data that reaches this time limit is deleted automatically on a monthly basis.
Further information concerning the terms and conditions of use and data privacy can be found at: https://policies.google.com/?hl=en, https://www.google.com/intl/de/policies/privacy/partners/ (“How Google uses data when you use our partners’ sites or apps”), http://www.google.com/policies/technologies/ads(“Advertising”), http://www.google.com/settings/ads (“Control the information Google uses to show you ads”) and http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/(“Control which ads are shown to you by Google”). For more information on data protection in relation to Google Analytics, please visit the Google Analytics Help page (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245?hl=en)
5. Social Media
In accordance with Art. 6 para. 1 p. 1 lit. f of the GDPR, we provide links to the social networks Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, XING, LinkedIn and Google+ on our website in order to raise ZEW’s profile on these platforms. This promotional purpose is viewed as a legitimate interest by the GDPR. The responsibility for protecting users’ data lies with the respective provider. Direct contact between these networks and our users is not established until the user actually clicks on one of these links. User data is not provided automatically to these platform providers.
ZEW employs technical and organisational security measures to protect the data we collect from incidental or deliberate manipulations, loss, destruction or unauthorised access. Our security measures are continually updated in line with the latest technological advances.
7. Your Rights
You have the right:
- to request information regarding the personal data we have stored on you in accordance with Art. 15 of the GDPR. In particular, you can request information regarding the purpose of the data collection, the type of personal data collected, the types of recipient your data has been or will be made available to, how long your data will be stored for, whether you have a right to amend or delete your data, restrict the processing of your data or to object to your data being stored, whether you have a right of complaint, the origin of your data (if this information has not been gathered by us) as well as whether automated decision-making including profiling was used and, if so, any relevant information gleaned from these processes;
- to request the immediate amendment of inaccurate personal data stored by us, in accordance with Art. 16 of the GDPR;
- to request the deletion of any personal data stored by us, as long as the processing of this data is not required under the right to freedom of speech and freedom of information, to fulfil a legal requirement, for reasons of public interest or for the assertion, exercise or defence of legal claims, according to Art. 17 of the GDPR;
- according to Art. 18 of the GDPR, to request that the processing of your personal be restricted in cases where the accuracy of the data is disputed by you personally, processing the data is illegal, but you refuse to have the data deleted and we no longer need it, though you require it for the assertion, exercise or defence of legal claims or you have filed an objection to the processing of your data under Art. 21 of the GDPR;
- to receive the personal data that you provide to us in a structured, commonly used machine-readable format or request that this data be sent to another responsible party, in accordance with Art. 20 of the GDPR;
- to withdraw your previously granted consent regarding the storage and processing of your data at any time under Art. 7 para. 3 of the GDPR. This means that we cannot continue processing the data originally provided with this consent in the future, and
- to file a complaint with the appropriate supervisory authority, according to Art. 77 of the GDPR. In most cases, you can contact the supervisory authority responsible for your usual place of residence or workplace or for our registered office.
Every newsletter or press release you receive also contains information on how to cancel your subscription. Once your subscription has been cancelled, your data will be deleted.
Right of objection
If your personal data are being processed on the basis of legitimate interests according to Art. 6 para. 1 p. 1 lit. f of the GDPR, you have the right, under Art. 21 of the GDPR, to file an objection to your personal data being processed, as long as there are sufficient grounds based on your particular circumstances or the objection is targeted at direct advertising. In the latter case, you have a general right of objection without having to provide evidence of any special circumstances.
If you wish to exercise your right of revocation or of objection, simply send an e-mail to email@example.com.
8. Validity and Changes to the Data Protection Policy
This commitment to data protection is currently valid as of May 2018.
ZEW reserves the right to revise this declaration on data protection in accordance with lawful regulations at any time. In the case of changes we will post the revised version of the declaration on the web so that you always have access to the most up-to-date valid version.